Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Who's Your Mommy?


This time last year we were gearing up for Mother’s Day, what to buy our moms, grandmothers, and siblings who are mothers as well. We always do something extravagant for Mother’s Day; Navy Pier Cruise Lunch, fancy restaurants, etc. Last year at this time I was beyond excited because we were going to Gibson’s, a top notch steak joint here in Chicago. And of course, as you’ve previously read, my goal is to hit as many restaurants as I can in the Chicago-land area so I was stoked to add this one to the list! This year we are going to Drury Lane which is in Oak Brook for their brunch and this time I will be included in the celebration.The funny thing about last Mother’s Day is that I was already pregnant but had NO CLUE!

Now that it’s my turn to be celebrated as a mom (still sounds so weird, but I love it!) I am so excited. Since becoming a mom I’ve really been able to fully grasp the importance of celebrating mom’s and why a whole day is dedicated to us. When I was younger I always thought about how fun and easy it would be to stay home with your child(ren) and “play” house all day. BOY OH  BOY was I wrong! While I thoroughly enjoy currently being a mom, almost wife (funny term but the word fiancĂ© bugs me), house manager, pillow, chef, maid, soother; you get the idea, I am very much so looking forward to being celebrated for my hard work. Little did I know what type of hard work went into parenting before becoming a parent myself. Sure, I was the older sister who took care of my 3 younger siblings but that doesn’t even compare to being a grown woman who is also a mom. I truly want my son to thrive as best he can. I want him to understand concepts that I didn’t grasp when “all the other kids did.” I want him to always remember and understand how I was there and will always be there for him. I want him to feel safe. I want him to learn to be truthful, loving, caring, honest, smart, happy, and really feel that he can do anything in the world that he wants to do. I want him to know I will always support him even if he wants to be an astronaut or an entrepreneur! 

Because I want all of these things for him and because I truly want to BE THERE for everything; that takes so much more than just feeling or giving him love. It takes pure hard work. It takes teaching him lessons and taking all the time I can with him to teach him how to be the best contributor to society that I can. Being a mom is truly the hardest job in the world and for that reason; mothers deserve all the celebration they can stand. 

Happy Mother’s Day Mommies AND Daddy’s who take on the role as BOTH parents. KUDOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment