Monday, July 7, 2014

A New Year?

So, I was scrolling through my blogs because I wanted to write about a certain topic related to parenting and in the process I realized I never wrote a blog for a recap on my year in 2013 or my goals/predictions for 2014. And it's July of 2014. If that isn't a sign that I'm a parent to a toddler, I don't know what does. Or what does it mean? I'm not sure because the truth is, I really look forward to writing about my year. I enjoy thinking back to the experiences of my years and figuring out ways to enjoy life more, or remember a certain event that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. While I am trying to weed out certain experiences in 2013, it took me a while to think about everything. We are so deep into 2014 and SO much has happened in my life this year already, like, so so much, that it's quite the challenge to even remember what the hell happened in 2013.

Big events in 2013:
1. The celebration of my son's 1st Birthday (Yo Gabba Gabba!). With his birthday being on Christmas, it makes more sense to celebrate it when everyone calms down from holiday overload.

2. Emergency tooth "surgery" the day after his party. FUN!

3. Celebrating my husbands birthday (Davanti Enoteca)

4. Our first family vacation in Vero Beach, Florida where my dads family has been vacationing since like, ancient times (like that, dad?). It was my very first time back there since I was 17, so I hadn't been there in about 10 years at the time. Almost our entire family was there and it was so memorable and fun! I did a specific post in my earlier blogs.

5. Our first family vacation to DISNEY!!! And my first time staying on the actual grounds (Beach Club Resort). It was AH-MAY-ZING! I loved every single second. I also posted on my blog specifically about this.

6. I enrolled Johnny at my College Alma Mater (UIC) for swimming lessons! He hated it. I hated it. Our instructor was cray cray. But we made some cool friends and it gave us something to do. Would I do it there again? No, sir!

7. My hubby and I went to Nashville for the 4th of July and THAT was super awesome. We stayed at the Grand Ole Opryland!

8. My husband and I celebrated ONE YEAR of marriage in Las Vegas!

9. I faced some fears in dealing with a certain family member of mine. And realized that it was the very END of that relationship for good. HUGE MOMENT and HUGE epiphany for me.

10. I celebrated my sons 2nd birthday! How is he TWO!? Ugh. Anyways, that happened. I love him to death.

Breaking it down helps me remember more about 2013. My husband started a new job in April of 2013 and the whole thing was a very big change for all of us. He needed to work more hours, his commute was MUCH longer, he went from a casual to a corporate environment, he was now taking TWO sources of public transportation, and dinner went from being at 5:30-6 to 7-7:30. My job as a mom was almost like a single mom for a while, but I didn't mind. We need to make sacrifices in our lives for our spouses and this was no exception. Something that we always aim to do is spend time together ALONE. So, we do dinners out or drinks or hit up festivals, take weekend vacations, etc., just to make sure we are giving each other the attention we deserve.

At the very end of 2013, my husband and I committed to each other to finally lose the "baby weight." And truthfully, it wasn't because I didn't like the number on the scale. But EVERYTHING was tight on me. I felt SO uncomfortable. And I really wasn't happy at the end of 2013 with myself. In 2013 I really think I put myself on the back burner. My husband needed more from me. My son needed a LOT more from me. And the truth is, I don't have a lot of family help to stop by if I need to run to the store or need to get something done. So, I placed a lot of unnecessary stress on myself. Looking back I find that I was just going through the motions of life, stressing, and not being very kind to myself. That's just the honest truth.

As for what is going on in 2014, I posted a LOT about that and will make it a point to post at the end of the year and do my recap. What I CAN say about 2014 is that so far it's the most challenging, most exciting, most brand new, and filled with the most change! And I wouldn't have it ANY other way!


No comments:

Post a Comment