Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Mommy's "Vacation" Blog-- From Daddy's Perspective


I closed down my computer at 3PM on Friday. It was time to get ready for vacation to Disneyworld with my family: Jessica and Johnny. I was so excited. I just changed jobs without taking time off and was now able to do nothing for 9 days. I left work behind and all the stress that goes along with it. It’s so great to be able to decompress and get away from your day-to-day work life during vacation…well for most of us that is.

My wife made the very difficult decision to put her career on hold to be a stay at home mom. I’m not sure she considered all the ramifications that came along with that decision. Her job never ends. EVER! On top of that, she takes care of me-her big baby at times. There are times when she makes that call to the bullpen to have me relieve her for a few hours (5 hours is about all she will allow before she comes back to clean up my mess!), but she’s on it every day, all day even on vacation. I am beyond amazed at her composure and dedication. It has been 16 months since Johnny was born and she has not complained one time! How is that possible? I don’t know but I admire it and count my blessings daily. Did I mention it never ends for her…

While on vacation she still has to make breakfast for Johnny and/or me, prepare his clothes, change his diaper, prepare his bag, get ready (she always looks amazing and I mean always!), dress Johnny, prepare his food and snacks for the day while I just have to, well, put my clothes on. Sometimes she eats! Now, full disclosure, I try to help with some of the preparation, but that never happens without me asking “Sweets, where is his diaper? Sweets, what shoes? Sweets, what food? How much? Do we pack bottles with milk or water? Are we bringing the stroller?” So, if she’s not doing, she’s supervising to ensure I’m doing what I’m supposed to do. I never took the time to consider she has done the above every day for 16 months. That is almost 500 days. There is no leaving it behind while on vacation. Her vacation INCLUDES continuing to do her job, but with me around for a week,
full time (not sure if this qualifies as a vacation for her!). And she knows when she returns she will have to clean all of our clothes and shop for food and still, never a peep. She has not once said I need an actual break so I’m going away with the girls for the weekend. She’d be fully within her rights to go nuts in Vegas for a few days. I’m amazed by her.

We had such a memorable vacation, we always do. She is my best friend and I love spending time with her and my son. I truly do. But what truly amazed me is Jessica. Seeing this beautiful women operate just blows my mind.The only training for her job is “on the job” training. She lives by intuition. I spent the first week of my new job frustrated by lack of training. I could only imagine her subconscious yelling “GENIUS, you’ve done this before, figure it out”. She’s never done it, but she steps up every day and knocks it out of the park.

I try to make a conscious effort to let her know how thankful I am for having her in my life. I try to do special things for my special woman, but I don’t think I could ever reward/pay/compensate her for her efforts. I started a new job and see my hard work rewarded via a larger paycheck. She receives no paycheck. Yes, my money is our money and she can buy whatever she wants with it, but there’s something about “getting paid” that completes the cycle. She has no cycle, it is never ending for her. And still, up every day taking care of the family…even on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment