Thursday, February 27, 2014

Transformation Update #2


*top: Lululemon, pants: Athleta, shoes: Asics


The end of week #8. 

I can not believe it's been 8 weeks already. And truly, since IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) aka Flexible Dieting is somewhat new to me, I wasn't sure how long I would last.

I've started to get lots of inquiries about IIFYM as of late. Most of the questions are the following:

  • Isn't it hard to keep track every single day?
  • Are you still eating "normal" food?
  • What's the difference between IIFYM and a traditional diet?

I will answer here:

1. Yes, it was very hard in the beginning to keep track of every single thing I ate or drank. I remember  thinking, how in the world could I do this for an extended period of time? Well, the app MyFitnessPal has been a life saver. I have had to manipulate the app to keep track of my own ratios from my coach rather than the given ratios from the app. Basically, I had to learn a little bit more about how to track properly and how to plan my day out so that I could focus on hitting my designated numbers. However, after doing it for a few weeks, it really became second nature. I eat mostly the same thing day in and day out, I have a few add ins and swaps here and there but for the most part, I like what I like; so the app keeps record of that and all you have to do is "click" the food and BOOM, it's tracked. Easy peasy. My goal within the next couple of months is to be able to not have to track because I will have familiarized myself with serving sizes and how to "eye-ball" just about everything. Except steak, because I mean, the more the merrier!

2. Do I eat normal food? I eat eggs, bacon, bread, rice, macaroni and cheese, I still put cream and sugar in my coffee, and I still go on dates with my husband and indulge. The key difference is, I still eat "clean/healthy" foods; lots of veggies, fruits, whey protein shakes, Quest bars, turkey, chicken, seafood, etc. So, BALANCE is what it is all about. If I want to have something "off-limits" I work it in and "make it fit" my macros! It's a fantastic system, really. Because, what would I do if I couldn't eat ANY of the 20 boxes of Girl Scout cookies my husband bought?!

3. The difference between IIFYM and a traditional diet I would say, as I mentioned in a previous blog, is the words "no" and "don't." If my coach were to tell me the following, "No cookies, don't eat peanut butter, no wine, no cheese" I would probably want them all a lot more, right? And "traditional" diets seem to be more or "cookie cutter" plans. At the end of the day, no person is alike. We all require different amount of energy (food). So, a better understanding and relationship with food is necessary to be successful. I find the IIFYM diet to be the best lifestyle change I could have ever adopted. 

My mind used to be so warped around the "dont's" "off-limits" and the "no's" that I wasn't giving myself permission to lose the weight that I wanted. I was simply creating a self destructive pattern that revolved mostly around binge eating. I don't have to suffer with the "no's" anymore! I am so beyond liberated, that I can't imagine why IIFYM has such a negative connotation attached to it. This year has already been full of so many challenges that have surged my anxiety levels through the roof, but by applying these principles, I am able to stop a binge from happening (ya know, anxious eating). I am so loved by myself now that I have allowed myself to come into this woman who I always wanted to be, that nothing is more powerful than me. Not food, not anything, not anyone. 

I am very excited to see where these next 4 weeks take me (next update will be around 12 weeks in). I must say, week 8 has been the hardest so far. It's the first time my coach has lowered my calories (macros) and even though it was only by a very little, it feels like a lot. I have been left feeling a bit hungry on some days, and struggling with feeling bloated on other days. It would be easy to give up, but I am never going to give up. And just to be clear, I do not think I am fat or obese. I do not have a distorted body image. This journey is for me to prove to myself that I have the self discipline that I feel I lacked for so long, this journey is for me to help someone realize they no longer have to live in a "clean eating" prison. This journey is for me to learn more about myself as a woman, not just a wife or a mother. This journey is for me to have my own hobby where I can push the limits and break PR's in the gym. This is for me. And you will never be able to break out of your mental prison until you make it about you. Until you can look back at the person in the mirror and say, "I want this." 

Now for the nitty gritty:

Weight Lost: 11 pounds
Inches lost: 7.5 

Dead Lift MAX: 195 pounds
Squat MAX: 205 pounds

Thank you everyone for following my progress. If you've had success with IIFYM or have any questions about it, please comment, I would really love to hear from you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment